Tuesday 6 November 2018

Cambridge Carols again.

 A few days ago I posted a card using  this stamp  from the Cambridge Carols  on  the Demonstrator Facebook page.   Another Demo left comment on how she loved it done in black and white.

I was a little confused at first as the card was the navy and white card in post below this one.
It turned out that she was looking at the post on her phone and it did look black and white on the small screen.  Her comment gave me the idea of colouring the image in black an white...well that's not strictly true. I used lot of shades of grey, (not quite 50 shades  of  grey though,   ( lol.)

The result isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I wanted to keep the whole card black and white but I wasn't keen any on any of  my black and white papers , so I decided to add colour to make the card a little more cheerful.
I die cut some sprigs of berries from red and white card. The looked too flat and dull for my likings.
 The red berries  I pressed them into a Versmark ink pad and heat embossed them with clear embossing powder.
The white berries I covered with glue using the two way glue pen and dusted them with  ultra fine white glitter for a frosty appearance.

I  die cut some pine needles and arranged the branches and berries in a variety of ways before settling on this arrangement. I'm not entirely happy with this arrange and can't help feeling it needs something else, but I am not too sure what to add. Maybe a small  pine cone or two?

6 comments:

Tanya said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I had to come find your blog (from the demo fb page) so I could pin it. :)
Your work is beautiful!

Laura said...

Aww thank you Tanya. So kind of you to take the time to find me and leave a lovely comment. X

tonilea said...

I've been keeping an eye on this card. I love the addition of the red berries and the white ones. One thing I think might help (I am definitely NOT a professional so this is opinion only) is if you used a narrower ribbon in satin, not grosgrain. maybe a 1/8 inch satin ribbon. Just an idea. It is a very nice card. It just tends to be a bit somber. I wonder if there is somewhere on the image that you could add just the tiniest bit of red?

Laura said...

Thanks for your comments Tonilea, I found them really interesting. I absolutely agree with your comment on the satin ribbon instead of the grosgrain. I didn't have any narrow red satin ribbon, but I did have grosgrain so I used it.

I have to say, I did contemplate colouring the woman's dress in red, But then I thought of all the black and white pictures I have seen where the artist has done just that and I can't honestly say I like any of them. It's been done so often it's become a bit of a cliché now.
I decided to leave it looking sombre as winter is a dreary time of year.
My orginal plan was to have the whole card in black and white, but because the image is so dreary I changed my mind and added colour to the background instead.

Of all the Cambridge carol cards I have made, this is the one I like least, but funnily enough it's the one that has the most likes, with almost 600 likes in 24 hours. I can't understand that. I think the others are nicer but have fewer likes. I guess in the end it's all a matter of personal taste.

tonilea said...

What about a tad of green (like background olive) to her melt or waist area? or the red there? Not the whole dress, but just s smidgen. Or maybe a color like so saffron in the church window area?
But hey, it it has gotten so many likes I am probably wrong. As you said, it is a matter of personal taste, but I truly like the new one you did and showed today.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it just the way it is. Thank you for sharing, Salli