Thursday 15 November 2018

Winter Woods

This very sparkly card was inspired by a video on youtube by Jan B.
I changed a few things on this card, the first being the size. This card is 7 x 5 inches Jan's card I think is 6 X 4 inches. I have more green trees on this card. Jan has  just two.
Jan's sentiment is larger and is in the centre of the foreground.
Jan stuck a torn strip of white card across the bottom of the card for snow.
I didn't bother with that bit. I masked of the bottom of the card with post it's while stamping. Once I had stamped the trees I removed the masks and smeared some ink in the foreground with the edge of a sponge dauber.
Jan used  a Sizzex adhesive sheets to cover the front with adhesive before dunking the whole thing in dazzling diamonds glitter.

I didn't have the adhesive strips so I used my Xyron 510 adhesive machine to apply a the dry adhesive.
I have to say using the Xyron adhesive worked out a little cheaper.
I paid £10. 24 for a 5.5 metre cartridge (18ft ) of adhesive from Amazon,  whereas the Sizzex adhesive sheets from S.U  cost £9.95  for sheets totalling
 12 ft.   Both types of adhesives are approximately 6" wide.

 Another reason for me to use Xyron was because I could get a couple of cartidges delivered the next day rather than waiting a week to get the sheets from S.U.
There was no P&P on my Amazon order either, so it was a no brainer really.

5 comments:

Denise Fletcher said...

A beautiful card, very effective. The only thing I have is glittered mod podge. Wonder what this would look like? Might smudge the ink though!

Laura said...

Hi Denise...Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I think you're right mod podge would make the ink run lol... invest in a couple of sheets of adhesive if you dont fancy investing in large xyron... they are pretty expensive and so are the refills. But they great for this technique and a must have for flocking.

GrammyKaren said...

You can also do this by using Versa Mark on the whole image and Iridescent Ice Embossing powder.

Sassy said...

Beautiful card..Just wondering if Glimmer spritz spray would work just as well as the adhesive sheets and Xyron can both get kind of expensive if you are making quite a few for Christmas cards.

Laura said...

Hi Sassy , You're right xyron adhesives are very expensive, I have not worked with glimmer spritz. But If it's a water based spray it won't do your inking much good if it is. I am guessing glimmer spritz is mica powder in a water based solution, that gives a very fine glimmer effect. You could try making your own by mixing a little rubbing alcohol with a small amount of mica powder and spritzing.. The alcohol dries off very quickly and doesn't affect your dye based inks. But you won't get the texture of the glitter and it won't look as frosty. You could also try dabbing the inked scene with versamark ink and applying a clear glitter embossing powder for a similar effect. Hope this helps. x