Thursday 13 September 2018

MIrror Image Stamping


Many years ago card making experts told us to stamp an image onto an acrylic block and then use the block to stamp the image onto your card stock to obtain a mirror image of your stamp.
The results I got were always very poor and only ever suitable for creating reflections, where a perfect image isn't essential.

This photo is an example of  a bird I have stamped twice using the acrylic block method.  You have to agree the results are very disappointing.
Don't ask me why, but I had this crazy idea to stamp the image onto the black rubber embossing mat that came with my big shot. The results surprised me. 
Here's how I stamped the the birds at the top of this post.

 I placed the rubber mat in the stamparatus,  then positioned the card stock in the stamparatus, and placed the stamp face down on the card stock where I wanted my bird to be stamped. I closed the stamparatus  and pressed over the stamp to pick up the stamp.



I opened the Stamparatus, (making a mental note as to the position of the card stock,)  then I removed the card.
I inked up the stamp with  Memento black ink  and closed the stampararus  and gently pressed over the stamp area to transfer the ink to the rubber mat.                                               
I opened the stamparatus  and re inked the stamp and close the stamparatus again. 
Gently press the inked stamp onto the black rubber mat for the second time.




Open the stamparatus and re position your piece of card over the inked image taking care not to smudge the inky image. 
then close the the stamparatus  with the stamp still attached and press firmly over the top of the stamp. Don't rush this step, you need to do it slowly to give the card a chance to soak up the ink.


Now you can open the stamparatus and flip the card over and stamp the second bird  as normal.

You can do this using wood mount stamps on the rubber mat too. but make sure you ink up your stamp really well as you won't be able to add the second layer of ink using this method.              Even with one layer of ink the result is pretty impressive.
 You have to admit  it's a far cry from the acrylic block stamping.
I didn't stop at birds either here's an example using the deer from the S.U set Nature Sings. 
The bird is from a set called An open heart. 
                                                 I think,  I have now been converted by the stamparatus,  I will be buying clear mount stamps instead of wood mount  now..... Maybe  I'll still buy the text stamps in wood....who wants a card with the writing back to front. lol. 
Sorry this post has been so long. I hope you will find it useful and try this method for yourself.

No comments: