Tuesday 29 September 2015

An attempt at painting.

No tutorial today, I am a complete novice when it comes to painting so I couldn't possibly give a tutorial on it.
Hubby says I should share this pic, but I am feeling very reluctant and hugely embarrassed about doing so.  I think that's because I know things are not  quite right. I will never be an artist but I have had fun playing.

As a complete beginner, I was ill equipped  and should never have even started painting without some basic tools.   I mean.... a  1"  paint brush meant for painting woodwork and a couple of small, soft brushes for water colours were really not suitable and made applying the acrylic paint hard work.

So I had to invest in a small set of brushes for acrylics.  Hubby (bless him) bought me a second set of brushes from  B&M,  I wasn't expecting much from these inexpensive brushes, but they're not bad at all.
 I bought  set of  large round brushes from Lidls with a view to trying them out as ink dusters. but they were far too scruffy for that, but they made fantastic brushes for dabbing on the paint for the foliage on the trees.

The paints I used were a small starter kit made by  Daler Rowney.   I  used six colours  black, yellow, light blue, green, white and brown.

I want to share a little tip with anyone that is thinking about trying their hand at painting and that is, when you think your painting is awful and  you just want to bin it..... DON'T,  just keep painting.
You will  end up with something you are happy with it eventually. It may not be technically perfect but you will end up with something you can live with and you will have learnt a lot about your brushes and paints and gained some experience.  I think, I must have painted and re painted this  half a dozen times for one reason or another.

Youtube is a great source of information. Some artists make real time  video tutorials  and others do time lapse videos.  The real time videos would be great if  you want to paint along with the artist. Jason Bowen does some great real time videos and he's easy on the eye too...Bonus.
Lisa of Lachri fine arts creates beautiful  animal paintings in time lapse. She talks almost as fast as her videos but they are  still great videos.
There are some fabulous one stroke painting tutorials for that shabby chic/folk art look.


2 comments:

Lorraine said...

You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You've captured the haze and the light source and the foliage is so textural. I believe that when you have the right tools things are easier, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Scruffy brushes have a purpose also. And it's the perseverance of the person using the tools that make the art. Thank you for sharing it.

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Your Husband is absolutely right, you should show the painting! It's a wonderful piece of art and you should be proud of yourself, and of the painting that you've produced. If that's your work as a beginner, then I'll look forward to what's coming next. It's fabulous :)