Thursday 12 July 2012

Olympic Torch

 Yesterday was a day that will go down in history  as the Olympic torch was carried through  Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and a few other places in between. I went to view the torch in Basingstoke.   We arrived early and  and I picked out the perfect spot for me to get some great photos, but the Police moved us on saying we were likely to cause an accident sat in that spot.  I cannot for the life of me see how we would cause an accident. We were in a safe place and away from the road. 
 We witnessed an awful lot of people doing things that were far more likely to cause an accident than two adults (that are nearer to claiming their pensions than to their school days)  sat quietly on the grass verge.
 We found somewhere else to sit , not far away and low and behold  we were moved on again.
 I can't say it was a  pleasurable experience at all.  I also had a rather unpleasant encounter with a very rude, abusive,arrogant and thoroughly unpleasant man.
The result being I ended up very angry and didn't enjoy the experience at all.  Another thing that ruined my day was the police  later allowed people to stand in the spot s  they had moved us on from.
Fortunately for me, I have  a very thoughtful, wonderful husband who said we could  catch up with the torch in  Andover after work so I could get some photos for a school display. So that 's exactly what we did.  We didn't have to wait as long to see the torch and the experience was far more enjoyable than previously experienced in Basingstoke. We followed up the experience with a lovely meal at  hotel near the event. So the day ended well thanks to Hubby.

No comments: